I am interested in politico-psychological and comparative approaches investigating dispositional and situational processes underlying ideological subscription. Having a penchant for psychometrics and random-effects models, I use these to evaluate current practices in the measurement of ideology. Open, cumulative and collaborative science enthusiast using #RstatsExterner Link and #datavizExterner Link.
nach Vereinbarung per Mail
Lebenslauf/curriculum vitae Flavio Azevedo
- Seit 04/2019: Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter in Forschung und Lehre am Lehrstuhl Kommunikations- und Medienpsychologie am Institut für Kommunikationswissenschaft an der Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena
- 2018/19: Fulbright Fellow by the Center for Social and Political Behavior at New York University, New York, United States
- 2015-19: CGS Research Fellow (Ph.D.) by the Cologne Center for Comparative Politics, Cologne Graduate School (CGS), Cologne, Germany
- Dec-2016/Jan-2017: Visiting Researcher by Vrij Universiteit Amsterdam - Department of Experimental and Applied psychology
- Oct-2015/Jun-2016: Visiting Researcher by Sciences Po, CEVIPOF, Paris, France
- 2015: Ph.D. candidate in Political Science [Comparative Politics & Political Psychology] by Cologne University, Cologne, Germany
- 2012: MSc. in Statistics by Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 2012-2014: MSc. in Political Science by Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 2012-2014: MSc. in Social Psychology by Leiden University, Leiden, The Netherlands
- 2011-2012: PgD. in Human Rights & Discrimination by Geneva University, Geneva, Switzerland
- 2008-2011: BSc. in Psychology by Università di Bologna, Bologna, Italy, 2010-11; Institut de Psychologie, Paris Descartes, Paris, France, 2009-10; Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal, 2008-09
- Azevedo, F., Jost, J. T., Rothmund, T., & Sterling, J. (2019). Neoliberal ideology and the justification of inequality in capitalist societies: Why social and economic dimensions of ideology are intertwined. Journal of Social Issues.
- Azevedo, F., Jost, J., Rothmund, T. (2017). "Making America Great Again": System Justification in the U.S. Presidential Election of 2016. Translational Issues in Psychological Science.
- Breznau, N., Rinke, E. M., Wuttke, A., Azevedo, F., ... & Balzer, D. (2019). The Crowdsourced Replication Initiative: Investigating Immigration and Social Policy Preferences. Executive Report.
- Jost, J., Langer, M., Badaan, V., Azevedo, F. (2017). Ideology and The Limits of Self-Interest: System Justification Motivation and Conservative Advantages in Mass Politics. (2016) Translational Issues in Psychological Science.
- Van Hauwaert, S., Schimpf, C. H., and Azevedo, F. (2018). Public opinion surveys: evaluating existing measures. In The Ideational Approach to Populism (pp. 154-172). Routledge.
- Van Hauwaert, S., Schimpf, C. H., and Azevedo, F. (2017). The individual level measurement of populism in Europe and the Americas: Insights from IRT as a scale development technique.
- Ruggeri, K., Azevedo, F., Knight, S. McDermott, Piest, J. (2012). Divided Education: Analyzing systemic segregation in Bosnian schools. Journal of East European and Asian Studies, 2(1), 49-65.
- Ruggeri, K., Azevedo, F., Knight, S. (2011). Attitudes towards the other in segregated and integrated schools. Psychology of Education Review, 35, 24-25.
- Rothmund, T., Bromme, L., Azevedo, F.: Justice for the people? How justice concerns can foster and impair support for populist radical right parties and politicians in the US and in Germany.
- van der Linden, S., Panagopoulos, C., Azevedo, F., Jost, J.: The Paranoid Style Revisited: Evidence of an Ideological Asymmetry in Conspiratorial Thinking.
- van Hauwaert, S., Schimpf, C., Azevedo, F.: Measuring populist attitudes across Europe: Scale development and scale refinement using IRT. Journal of Politics.
Sommersemester 2019: Modul Intergruppenkommunikation (KW-WP-IK) Teil 1 und 2
New York University Dec 2016
Introduction to R and Reproducible Research
Kent University Dec 2016
Introduction to R, School of Psychology
Vrij Universiteit Amsterdam (UVA) Sept 2014 – Nov 2016
Introduction to R & Statistics, Department of Experimental and Applied Psychology
Leiden University Sept 2014 – Jun 2015
Leiden University Sept 2014 – Jun 2015
Advanced Statistics, Science Faculty
Research Skills, Bio‐Pharmaceutical Sciences
Forensic Statistics, Mathematical Institute
Statistics 1, Bio‐Pharmaceutical Sciences
Statistics 2, Bio‐Pharmaceutical Sciences
Arbeits- und Forschungsschwerpunkte/work and research focuses
- Political Psychology
- Methodology & Statistics
- Voting Behavior
- Comparative Politics
- Survey Methods
- Public Opinion