Bachelor of Arts »Communication Science«
The Bachelor's program in Communication Studies at the University of Jena can be studied as a main subject (120 credit points) or as a minor subject (60 credit points). The Bachelor's program is designed for a standard period of study of 6 semesters.
The subject focuses on the production, processing and impact processes of published communication offerings. In addition to mass media such as newspapers, radio and television, other organizations are increasingly appearing as actors in the public sphere. These include, for example, political parties, associations, but also companies that use press releases and advertising for their content. These and also political, social, economic and societal communication processes must be analyzed, presented and, above all, critically evaluated.
In the course of your studies, you will therefore become familiar with various theories, models and concepts from several fields:
- Empirical Methods
- Digitalization and the public sphere
- Strategic communication
- Communication and media psychology, with a focus on net publics and social media.
Starting from theoretical considerations, communication science tries to gain insights primarily with the help of empirical methods and evaluation procedures. And what does that mean for you exactly? For example, you ask people about their attitudes, observe their behavior or examine websites according to certain criteria.
Advice for prospective students and students
Leave of absence for internship and stay abroad
Recognition of program achievements made at the FSU Jena or another German university
- Central Student Advisory ServiceExternal link
- Career & Welcome PointExternal link
- Application & enrolmentExternal link
- Examen regulations for the faculty of social and behavioural science for Bachelor of Arts (German)External link
- Study regulations BA Communication science (major and minor subject) (German)External link
- Module catalogue for major subject (German)External link
- Module catalogue for minor subject (German)External link
- Recommended study plan for major subject (German)External link
- Recommended study plan for minor subject (German)External link
- Student representative committee of communication science (German)External link